Visa for Nevada

Published on: May 28, 2022, Last Edited: May 28, 2022 | Tags: USA Visa Application, USA Visa, USA Visa Requirements


This article provides information on obtaining an ESTA or a visa for Nevada for individuals travelling on business or tourism purposes.

Visa and ESTA Overview

Before you arrive to Nevada from another country, make sure you understand the Visa Waiver Programme (VWP) and how it works. Basically, the VWP allows citizens of the participating country to travel to Nevada without the visa for 90 days or less, however these individuals need to meet certain requirements before travelling. The requirements include having a valid electronic passport throughout the duration of your journey to and from Nevada. Also, in order to travel without a visa you have to obtain approval through the Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) prior to boarding your air or sea vessel, you have to be on an approved carrier and also have a round ticket stating you have a return ticket from a country anywhere outside the US.

You can also get a tourist visa for Nevada. A tourist visa is also known as a B category visa. You will need to fill out an application form called the DS-160 and obtain a passport-style photograph. Also, you will need to schedule an interview, which will usually take place at the U.S. consulate or Embassy in your country that you live in. At the time of scheduling your embassy appointment, you will need to pay the DS-160 application fee of $160 USD, which is non-refundable.

When planning your trip to Nevada, remember you are not allowed to work for a US employer while travelling on a B category or visa waiver.

The ESTA Visa Waiver Programme (ESTA)

The ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation) Visa Waiver Programme is designed to facilitate entry to the U.S. by passport holders from visa waiver countries without the need to apply for a visa. Anyone who intends on visiting Nevada for a period of fewer than 90 days, whether for business, tourism, receiving medical treatment or transit purposes may qualify for the ESTA visa waiver. An ESTA visa waiver is valid for up to two years after the date of issue or the date of expiry of the traveller’s passport, whichever is earliest. Some further requirements must be met for an individual to be eligible for the ESTA visa waiver programme, these are as follows:

Permitted Business Purposes

  • Consulting with business associates
  • Attending a professional, business, scientific or educational conference or convention
  • A period of training that does not exceed 90 days and for which you will receive no remuneration (excepting any incidental expenses during your visit)
  • The negotiation of a contract

Permitted Tourism Purposes

  • Tourism and leisure
  • A holiday
  • Visiting relatives or friends
  • Receiving medical treatment
  • Attending social events hosted by service, fraternal or social organisations
  • To participate as an amateur ( where no payment is received) in sports, music or similar contests and events
  • To take part in a brief course of study for recreational purposes that does not count for credit towards a degree, such as a four-day painting class while on holiday

Travel not Permitted under The Visa Waiver Programme

  • Academic studying that counts for credit towards a degree
  • Paid employment
  • Working as a foreign journalist whether for TV, press, radio, film or other media

Further Requirements

  1. Visitors must be authorised under ESTA regulations to travel without a visa to the U.S. for either tourism or business purposes. 
  2. Only individuals who are travelling on an approved round-trip sea or air itinerary can enter the U.S. on an ESTA.
  3. Applicants should have no prior history of being denied admission at a U.S. border crossing, and no history of being denied a U.S. visa.
  4. Applicants must be in possession of an electronic passport.

Business Visas, Tourist Visas and Visitor Visas

Individuals who are not eligible for an ESTA Visa Waiver, or who are planning to remain in the U.S.A. for a period of longer than 90 days, will need a B2 Tourist Visa, B1 Business Visa, or B1-B2 Visitor Visa. These are separate categories of visitor visas, classified according to the reason for the visit.

  • Category B1 - applies to individuals who are visiting for business purposes, meeting with business associates or settling an estate.
  • Category B2 - applies to leisure, tourism, holidays and other reasons for visiting.

Applying for a Visa

When applying for a visa, there is a set procedure that must be followed. The procedure may vary depending on your country of residence.

  1. First, the online visa application form DS-160 must be filled in. After the application has been successfully completed, you then come to the confirmation page; you must print this out as it is essential to bring with you to the interview.
  2. Secondly, you must book an interview. You must arrange an appointment for an interview for a visa at the U.S. embassy or consulate in your country of residence. Then, you must wait to be telephoned by the embassy’s visa officer. There is no fixed time at which you will receive a call from the visa office; it may come at any time and depends on factors such as the visa category, your location and the time of year: therefore, you are advised to apply for your visa well in advance.
  3. Include the required documents : a) a valid passport, b) confirmation page for form DS 160, c) the payment receipt for the application fee, d) a recent photo

Following your examination in an interview, the visa officer will decide whether or not you are eligible. Further to your visa interview, you may be required need to submit extra documentation, if required, so it is advisable to be prepared for this. When your visa has been approved, you must pay the applicable issuance fee for your visa; you will then shortly receive your passport and visa.

Nevada Travel Information

Most of the population travel from all over the world to visit this well-known international "Entertainment Capital of the World". Las Vegas as it is referred, to has high rankings for its adult entertainment, fancy casinos, night-clubs and restaurants.

Some of the popular casinos to visit are "The Mirage" with its lush tropical casino but also for its erupting volcano putting on "fire and lava" shows nightly. The "Bellagio", a luxurious resort with dancing waterfalls set to music. Want to travel to another country? Try going to "The Venetian", an Italian themed resort and casino, where you can take a gondola ride thru the streets of Italy! Well really thru the hotel grounds that are amazing. Wherever you turn in Las Vegas you will find one of many "themed" casinos to put that lucky quarter or dollar in a slot machine. Don't forget to take in one of the many shows they offer in Las Vegas, including the popular brother and sister singing act known as "Donnie and Marie". There are other activities within the Las Vegas area that are not just limited to gambling, shopping or eating at a "all you can eat" buffet.


Nevada has a lot of desert to explore. Camping, hiking, fishing and boating on nearby Lake Mead are some of the outdoor activities one can enjoy. Feeling more adventurous? You can ride a hot air balloon, try Richard Petty's rookie experience and go race car driving. How about a visit to the popular history channels television show "Pawn Stars"? You may spot the cast being filmed. There are plenty of things to do while in Las Vegas besides gambling, shows, shopping and nightclubs to accommodate everyone's tastes and budgets.

Get the right travel authorisation for your trip to Nevada

If you hold a passport from a visa waiver country such as the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or other Western European Country, and wish to obtain an ESTA for tourist, business, medical or transit purposes through Nevada, get started on your application now:

Apply for ESTA



Apply for ESTA

ESTA is a mandatory travel authorisation for travellers visiting the United States either by Sea or Air for tourism, transit or business visits under 90 days.

Apply for ESTA